Visiting researchers


Welcoming international researchers

Le Mans Université as a member of the Euraxess network welcomes international researchers upon arrival, or during the days that follow their arrival. The International Welcome Centre (known as the BAI- Bureau d’Accueil International) accompanies you during your entire stay: they help with administrative procedures and with any questions you may have. In order to help you the best that we can, we invite you to register on the Alfred platform.


Indicative dates of Le Mans Université academic year for international students


(For exact dates, please contact your contact referent at Le Mans Université)


Information meeting and welcome reception: during September

Excursions: all year – you will receive information emails


The BAI welcomes international researchers non-stop at the start of the academic year (late August and during September). The BAI is also open all year round – contact us for our opening times to the public


Contact : ri-bai @


COVID 19 : France continues to welcome international researchers. All the requirements to travel to France can be found on the “ministère de l’intérieur” website and on Campus France.


Immigration procedures for international researchers: visa and residence permit


 Researchers from the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA)

Visa applications do not apply to researchers from a country in the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA). Having a residence permit is not compulsory in France.

International researchers with a valid residence permit for an EU or EEA country must apply for a visa to carry out salaried research activities or for any stay.


 Researchers NOT from the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA)

It is essential to take the approach that is appropriate for your situation before arriving in France: a visa error at outset can lead to serious difficulties once you have arrived in France (legal impossibility of working, and therefore of receiving a salary, freezing of your health insurance, of your application for residence permits etc.).


  • Visa and residence permit

Depending on your status (e.g. PhD student, member of staff at the university or invited researcher) you can either apply for a “student” or a “passeport talent – chercheur” visa or residence permit. Whether you want to validate your visa, apply for a first residence permit or renew you residence permit, you have to apply online on the ANEF website. If your situation changes (e.g. new address), you should declare it on the same website.

More information on visas on the France Visa website

Contact: ri-formalites-sejour @



  • Hosting agreement for obtaining a visa and/or a multi-year residence researcher-talent passport card

As an International researcher who is not an EU or EEA national, you will need a hosting agreement in order to obtain a « Passeport Talent Chercheur » visa from the French consular authorities of your country of residence and/or a multi-year residence « Passeport Talent Chercheur » card at the prefecture of your place of residence in France.


More information on the visa / residence permit « Passeport Talent Chercheur » is available on the following sites:


 Campus France Français

Campus France English

Campus France Español


acc&ss Fnak Français

acc&ss Fnak English

Euraxess France Français

Euraxess France English




Special circumstances and request for additional information: please contact the consular authorities of your country or the prefecture directly.

Useful information: Useful contacts and site map

Share :

Looking for informations ?