Health Insurance

In France, basic health insurance is compulsory : it is called Sécurité Sociale.
Compulsory student health insurance allows students to receive a refund for part of their medical expenses : medical consultations, pharmaceutical costs,medical analysis costs, hospitalization…

For a better refund, students can purchase a complementary health insurance policy (“mutuelle”) to complete the refunding from the compulsory student health insurance (around 70%). Purchasing a complementary health insurance is highly recommended.

The payment for student health insurance will need to be made at the same time as your administrative enrolment at the Université du Maine (around 211 € for 2013/2014). The main student health insurance providers in Le Mans and Mayenne (Laval) are SMEBAor LMDE

The Health Centre in the Université du Maine

Thanks to this center, called  the “Centre de Santé Médico-Psycho-Social”, students can benefit from nurse care and doctor and gynaecologist consultations without any cash advance (provided with their health insurance card). They may also receive medical counsel, preventive medical examinations, and psychological care from a psychologist or social counselor.
Most of these services are free (except sophrology and first aid training which have to be paid for). The whole medical team respects doctor-patient confidentiality.

Centre de Santé Médico-Psycho-Social
sante.u @ univ-lemans.fr
Maison de l’Université (sous-sol) - Avenue Olivier Messiaen - 72085 LE MANS Cedex 9

  • Medical service - 00 33 (0)2 43 83 39 20
  • Social Service - 00 33 (0)2 43 83 37 28


  • Centre Hospitalier du Mans
    194 Av. Rubillard, 72037 LE MANS Cedex 9 - 00 33 (0)2 43 43 43 43
  • Centre Hospitalier de Laval
    33 rue Haut Rocher - 53000 LAVAL - 00 33 (0)2 43 66 50 00

Emergency phone numbers in France

From a landline-phone :

  • Fire brigade (Incidents, accidents, medical emergencies) : 18
  • Emergencies (Medical service) : 15
  • Police station : 17
  • Doctor’s service : 08 20 08 20 72 (Le Mans) or 36 24 (national number)

From a mobile-phone :

  • European emergency number : 112

For students of the European Economic Area (EEA)

To enroll, you have to provide :

  • Either the European health insurance card (EHIC) given by your insurance provider in your home country that covers the entire duration of your stay
  • Or another equivalent document covering the entire duration of your stay

You don't have to purchase France’s compulsory student health insurance.
Medical treatments will be refunded by the CPAM

For students outside the EEA

If you are under the age of 28, you will have to purchase a policy from one of the student insurance  providers (SMEBA or LMDE).

For students older than 28

  • You are not eligible for the compulsory student health insurance
  • You have to provide a certificate from your insurance provider that covers you in France (get in touch with the CPAM (Caisse Primaire d'Assurance Maladie) or with the MGEN (Mutuelle Générale de l'Education Nationale) if the Université du Maine is your employer)



Vice-President of International Relations

Catherine PAINEAU
Head of Administration

Phone :
(33) (0)2 43 83 30 05

 ri@univ-lemans.fr (ri @ univ-lemans.fr)